Microcassette Chain Collaboration
- initiated by Rafael González
late October 2013
- completed early February 2014
1) Rafael González "Towards Jacksonville"
- Olympus S-701 microcassette recorder, cassettes, toys, field recordings, small synthesizers (no keys, of course), radios and especially the microcassette manipulation during recording.
2) Fiver's Stereo (Jay Peele) "The Truth Must Win"
- Olympus S-701 microcassette recorder, Steim cracklebox, ukulele, didgeridoo, voice, drum set, & Vichitra Veena.
3) Seth Ossachite Stephens "Simulation Of Sensation"
- Sony microcassette-corder M-450, angklung, hit stix 2, souvenir drum, warpspeak, military sounds, dolphin sounds(inaudible ) and splices from Special Agent Dale Cooper's microcassette.
4) Dave Fuglewicz "Garage" 11/30/2013
- RCA RP3538 microcassette recorder, Weird Sound Machine VST, improvised various presets.
5) Der Domestizierte Mensch (Marvin Marvinson) "Microkaos"
- Sony M-425 microcassette recorder, one (first) take, improvised with a Kaossilator.
6) Anton Mobin "Untapetled#4"
-is an improvisation with cassettes in which i develop this concept of "hand written tape" starting with a blank tape
-(more infos here; antonmobin.bandcamp.com/album/hand-written-tape)
- The final outcome of this project presented here is the result of an experience in several stages :
Step 1: The starting point is a blank new tape and using various engraving tools (knife, pen, needle, punch), I engrave, register, puncture, damage, twist, scratch, wrinkle, stretch, wet or/and burn the virgin magnetic tape.
Step 2: Different listenings and recordings of the side A and then auto-reverse to listen to the side B with portions of the engraving process that pierced right through the tape. The silence of the tape drives powerfully as rugged of mal-treated tape.
Step 3: From previous sound materials : preparation of different tracks improvised, mixed live and record in real time on new blank cassettes.
3 cassettes "play" are produced, one with safe original sounds from step 1.
Step 4: Improvised session Maïzing Studio Paris, with 4 cassette magnetophones + a tape head.
7) Igloo Martian: "untitled"
I used a circuit bent sesame street toy a circuit bent eq pedal my voice-an alesis wedge- my amp- a boss dd-7 delay and a circuit bent over drive pedal.
8) Brava Centauri (Roberto Rosaly) "La Frecuencia de Mensajes"
Sony M-677V Microcassette-corder, Casio CTK-471, Uniden Dect 6.0 Digital Answering System, Poetry of Julia De Burgos (read by Myrtelina Rosaly), Studio App, Sonnet Multi-band transistor radio.
released February 9, 2014